Browse the information related to the programmes
offered at USIM
Master of Science
PROGRAMME DETAILSProgramme Code: S301
Medium of instructions: English
Programme Option: By Research
This is one major broad range master of science program with many subdisciplines such as applied physics, industrial chemical technology, food biotechnology, health and industrial technology, actuarial science and risks management, financial mathematics as well as computer science. Students may choose one subdiscipline of interest and proceed with their research work under the field expert supervision.
Objectives of the programme
The Master of Science programme is designed to achieve the following objectives: ·
1) To produce postgraduates who can apply the knowledge and experience of research studies to generate new knowledge and provide the best expert services to various stakeholders in line with the mission and vision of the university. ·
2) To produce postgraduates who can lead responsibly and can communicate effectively with colleagues, experts in and outside the field and the general public. ·
3)To produce postgraduates who can interpret data numerically and ‘graphically’ using current digital technology in accordance with professional values and ethics. ·
4) To produce postgraduates who who are committed to continuous learning, and can work together in a team to provide the best service in their field.
Depending on the sub-disciplines :
Computer Science - Senior Systems Engineer, MIS Manager, CIO, Network Manager, Cybersecurity Senior Officer, Scientist, Lecturer. Actuarial Science – Data Scientist, Statistician.
Risks Management – Risk Analyst, Credit Risk Analysts, Risk Manager, Risk Consultant.
Food Biotechnology – Biotechnologist.
Financial Mathematics – Financial Mathematician in Banking Industry. Industrial Chemistry – Researcher, Instructor, Chemist.
Applied Physics – Researcher, Instructor. Health Industry Technology – Researcher, Instructor, Technologist
Admission to Master’s Degree by Research
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields with a minimum CGPA of 2.75/4.00 or equivalent, as accepted by the Senate; or
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields or equivalent with a minimum CGPA of 2.50/4.00 and not meeting CGPA of 2.75/4.00, can be accepted subject to rigorous internal assessment. or
- A bachelor’s degree in the field or related fields or equivalent with minimum CGPA of 2.00/4.00 and not meeting CGPA of 2.50/4.00, can be accepted subject to a minimum of 5 years working experience in the relevant field and rigorous internal assessment.
- Candidates without a qualification in the related fields or relevant working experience must undergo appropriate prerequisite courses determined by the University and meet the minimum CGPA based on (1) to (3) above; or
- Other qualifications equivalent to a bachelor’s degree with honours AND relevant professional work experience.
Note: 1-year work experience is equivalent to 0.05 CGPA
(1) An applicant shall show evidence of proficiency in the English language based on the following criteria:
- TOEFL minimum score of 180 (computer-based) or 64 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 5; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated from institutions that use English as the main medium of instruction, AND will be required to seat for University English Proficiency Test (UEPT) with minimum score of Band 3; or
- graduated in the field of Teaching of English as a Second Language (TESL), English Language Studies (ELS) and equivalent from a university recognised by the Senate; or
- a native speaker of English.
(2) Research-mode applicant who intends to write his/her thesis in Arabic will be required to fulfil the criteria as follows:
- TOEFL minimum score of 150 (computer-based) or 52 (internet-based); or
- IELTS minimum score of Band 4; or
- MUET minimum score of Band 2; or
- UEPT minimum score of Band 2.
(3) An applicant who does not fulfil any of the criteria under (1) & (2) will be allowed to register conditionally and is required to fulfil any of the criteria under (1) or (2), within 12 months (for Master’s students) and 24 months (for Ph.D. students).
Local Full Time
Local Part Time
Master of Science
The fees that stated are subject to change from time to time without any prior notice by the University. Student are advised to check the CGS Website for any changes before the of each semester registration. All fees must be paid upon registration.
The university has the right to withdraw this offer or to terminate you from your study if you are found to suffer from or to be a carrier of contagious/infectious diseases, or to suffer from a medical condition requiring continuous medical care that will adversely affect your study at USIM.
(1) Communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
(2) Chronic Non-communicable Disease
Type of Disease / Problem Example
Applicants can apply via online at https://ipps2.usim.edu.my/ and fill the prescribed forms. Forms and supporting authenticated documents must then be submitted through online or mailed to the office.
For information related to visa and student pass, please refer to http://alamiyyah.usim.edu.my
Centre for Academic Management
Division of Graduate Studies
Universiti Sains Islam Malaysia
Bandar Baru Nilai, 71800, Nilai, Negeri Sembilan, MALAYSIA
Phone: +606 797 8683 / +606 797 8684
Email: email@example.com /firstname.lastname@example.org